This subject will provide a solid grounding in database design . It will examine the importance of database design in the development of applications that meet business needs. There will be an emphasis on modeling a database using Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERDs), optimising its design using normalisation techniques and implementing it and querying it using Structured Query Language (SQL).
ITC556 Database Systems will cover the following topics:
- The role of database management systems and their importance to business organisations
- The importance and use of data models to design databases to meet business requirements
- The conceptual design of databases using Entity Relationship Diagrams
- The use of normalisation techniques to optimise database design
- The implementation of databases using Structured Query Language (SQL)
- The querying of databases using complex SQL commands
- The recent developments in the field of database technology
Incompatible with ITC114
Session 2 (July), Session 3 (November)
The information above was accurate the time the subject was last run, but may change in future. Be sure to check the details in your subject outline upon enrolment.